Some thoughts on learning how to write well

I teach Writing and tutor students in the Writing Center at Seminole State College in Sanford, FL. I've been working here since I left Prague in November 2013. This is the college I worked at before I moved to Prague in 2010, so I have spent quite a bit of time teaching and tutoring Writing to college students.


Before I worked at Seminole State College, I taught English at Providence High School in Jacksonville, FL. There I taught AP Language and Composition (the equivalent of English I, College  Composition) to Juniors, as well as teaching every grade level of English, grades 7-12.

In all of my experience in teaching writing, I focus on just three aspects of writing. I believe that if a student can master these three skill sets, he or she can become a competent writer.


1. Understanding and using the proper structure of a sentence, a paragraph, and a short essay. 

2. Knowing and applying the basics of American English grammar.

3. Using outside research in writing, giving credit for all research, and using the knowledge gained in research to construct a properly cited research paper with all parts: introduction, thesis, topic sentences, well-supported body paragraphs, and conclusion.

These skill sets will take any student through high school, college, and graduate school, as well as providing a basis for writing throughout the student's entire career.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Three mistakes for students of English, with Czech examples

Networking: crucial for making a place for yourself in a new culture!

writing a 5-paragraph essay