Korean students keep learning!

Many of my American English language students in Prague are from Korea.

They go to school where all the instruction is in English, such as Prague British School, Riverside School and the International School of Prague. It seems so strange, in a way, that my students have no real need to learn Czech, even though they live in the capital of the Czech Republic.

Their classmates are from Azerbaijan, France, Iran, Russia, Ghana, Canada, the USA, Brazil, Germany, China, Slovakia, Japan, Denmark, Ukraine, Hungary, Czech Republic and many other countries. Their lingua franca (common language) is English.

I especially enjoy working with Korean students for three important reasons:
  1. they are, for the most part, diligent students who really want to improve their English skills;
  2. they will do the homework I give them, even during their summer holidays;
  3. their mothers offer me delicious drinks and snacks!

This summer, all my students have kept up their tutoring sessions whenever they are in Prague. The Koreans who are living in Prague love to travel around Europe, so there have been weeks when we did not meet, but my students have faithfully done their homework even on holiday.

Paris, London, Heidelburg, Monaco, Lichtenstein, Nice, Berlin, southwestern England, Rome, Milan, Poland, Austria--these are places my students have recently visited. I imagine their English language skills have come in handy, in places where the only common language they have with the people living there is the English that everyone in Europe can speak at least "a little bit."



School starts again in just a few weeks, and my students will be ready! They have all worked hard to improve their fluency in reading English, their knowledge and use of correct grammar, their ability to understand literature, their number skills, and their puzzle-solving expertise.


It's been a great summer for me and my students!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Three mistakes for students of English, with Czech examples

Networking: crucial for making a place for yourself in a new culture!

writing a 5-paragraph essay